1. Which of the following terms is used to describe a material which has no unpaired electrons and is somewhat repelled by a magnetic field?
2. Which of the following is NOT related to the ease with which a metal can lose electrons?
A: low electrical and thermal conductivity
D: ability to form compounds with reactive nonmetals
3. What is another name for a negatively-charged ion?
A: double ion
C: lone ion
4. Which of the following scenarios describes a neutralization reaction?
A: An acid and base mutually destroy each other.
B: A reaction between an acid and a base produces a salt and perhaps water.
C: An acid combines with a salt and becomes a base.
D: A base combines with a salt and becomes an acid.
5. Which of the following assumptions is NOT made in the kinetic molecular theory?
A: The volume of the particles in a gas is miniscule in comparison with the contained volume.
B: Gas particles are in constant random motion.
C: Gas molecules or atoms can demonstrate intermolecular attractions and repulsions.
D: The collision between any two gas particles is elastic.
1. A. The chemical properties of an atom or molecule are affected by this condition.
2. A. Actually, this characteristic of metals gives them a high electrical and thermal conductivity.
3. D. Conversely, a cation is a positively-charged atom.
4. B. The opposite reaction is known as hydrolysis.
5. C. In fact, the theory asserts that gas molecules and atoms do not exhibit intermolecular repulsions or attractions.
Last Updated: 06/14/2014